Are we silent or silenced?

Discussion in 'Issues in work psychology' started by Nyla, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Nyla

Nyla BizFace Member

Hello Stephanie:

This is the name of my research article. I am finally done with my research project and have received an A grade on my report and presentation. I am so thankful to you who encouraged me to do rhetorical analysis. I had written to Gillian Symon and she, like you encouraged me to go ahead with this. Following her, I tried to apply rhetorical approach in a Pakistani context and it worked so well. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

2. Stephanie

Stephanie Business Psychologist

That is absolutely brilliant Nyla! Well done.

To get an A grade at Birkbeck, University of London is rare and only given to top quality projects.

Do let us know more about your project.

kind regards

3. Nyla

Nyla BizFace Member

I am sorry I should have been clear about this. I got this grade in Pakistan for my M. Phil degree program, where I was supposed to do two researches. This is one of them. I am in Pakistan these days.

4. Nyla

Nyla BizFace Member

Dear Stephanie:

I am doing two degrees simultaneously; one in Pakistan and the other at Birkbeck external program. I just finished one in Pakistan, and now I am left with two courses to complete at Birkbeck by 2010.

I did a case study at a women college in Pakistan, where due to a dictated change of an additional work day, led to silence--- unspoken stress at work, resistance in the form of absences, fake leaves and daily conflicts in the department. the decision was taken by the board that comprised male members as a majority. Of course there was a big issue of work-life balance, where working mothers were having problems at home.
    I used semi-structured interviews for an in-depth analysis and used a sample of 12. Rhetorical analysis was the method to interpret the data collected.
    My most amazing finding about silence did not turn out to be a function of a patriarchal, male dominated paradigm, as always assumed to be the root cause of women' s marginalization in Pakistan; but also due to a hierarchical family structure and professional seniority, where women roles vary in different phases of life and work and hence help perform political functions through 'talk.' Understanding silence and resistance in a social perspective helped analyse constraints in a specific context, that may not be generalized to any other context.

Through rhetorical analysis, I could explorethrough talk, how one woman in a senior position was undermining the position of a junior and vice versa . I had read Michael Billig book in detail and it really helped me understand the application of this method.

1 person likes this.