Are we silent or silenced?

Discussion in 'Issues in work psychology' started by Nyla, Dec 27, 2009.

1. Nyla

Nyla BizFace Member

Hello Stephanie:

This is the name of my research article. I am finally done with my research project and have received an A grade on my report and presentation. I am so thankful to you who encouraged me to do rhetorical analysis. I had written to Gillian Symon and she, like you encouraged me to go ahead with this. Following her, I tried to apply rhetorical approach in a Pakistani context and it worked so well. Thanks again.

Kind regards,

Nyla.

2. Stephanie

Stephanie Business Psychologist

That is absolutely brilliant Nyla! Well done.

To get an A grade at Birkbeck, University of London is rare and only given to top quality projects.

Do let us know more about your project.

kind regards

Stephanie

3. Nyla

Nyla BizFace Member

Stephanie:

I am sorry I should have been clear about this. I got this grade in Pakistan for my M. Phil degree program, where I was supposed to do two researches. This is one of them. I am in Pakistan these days.

Nyla.

4. Nyla

Nyla BizFace Member

Dear Stephanie:

I am doing two degrees simultaneously; one in Pakistan and the other at Birkbeck external program. I just finished one in Pakistan, and now I am left with two courses to complete at Birkbeck by 2010.

I did a case study at a women college in Pakistan, where due to a dictated change of an additional work day, led to silence--- unspoken stress at work, resistance in the form of absences, fake leaves and daily conflicts in the department. the decision was taken by the board that comprised male members as a majority. Of course there was a big issue of work-life balance, where working mothers were having problems at home.
    I used semi-structured interviews for an in-depth analysis and used a sample of 12. Rhetorical analysis was the method to interpret the data collected.
    My most amazing finding about silence did not turn out to be a function of a patriarchal, male dominated paradigm, as always assumed to be the root cause of women' s marginalization in Pakistan; but also due to a hierarchical family structure and professional seniority, where women roles vary in different phases of life and work and hence help perform political functions through 'talk.' Understanding silence and resistance in a social perspective helped analyse constraints in a specific context, that may not be generalized to any other context.

Through rhetorical analysis, I could explorethrough talk, how one woman in a senior position was undermining the position of a junior and vice versa . I had read Michael Billig book in detail and it really helped me understand the application of this method.

Nyla.

1 person likes this.